Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

To Denver and Back.... and bargains to be found

I live 369 miles  or 6 hours from my sister. At least that's what Google tells me.
The trip is a bit boring. SO... I find new routes mostly involving western Nebraska.  So not exactly the most scenic and I haven't made it in less than ten.  I do wander... and the shopping distracts me.

I'm realizing that I get this goofy pleasure in finding bargains. I always say I don't shop- what I don't do is window shop or mall cruise or actually buy much at retail. Except Ikea.  And along the back roads and small towns between my house in Hill City and Janet's house in Parker, there are bargains to discover.  I think I may need to start a new side blog or link - Great Thrift Stores of the World.  Hey, think big.

My bargains include wool blankets and down comforters for each of my guest beds. I've found great original art, pillows and decor items.  But right now I'm in the market for winter clothes- in the past winter has been pretty short and not too cold. Now I'm realizing this is true winter country and I need winter stuff- and well, this is the place to find it!

In Sterling, Colorado there is a great Goodwill and on this trip I found my final down comforter for ten bucks.  I wanted silk long underwear ( really, really warm but lightweight for skiing) and my route went  south to Sidney, Nebraska- corporate home of Cabela's- Land of all things for Hunting, Camping, Being Outdoors in Cold Weather.  Don't ask but I kinda got lost in a town of 6,000 and couldn't find the biggest, possibly only industry in town.  BUT, I found the Salvation Army- a.k.a. Jackpot.  Three longjohns and two long sleeve tops- all silk, all Cabela's, all four dollars each.  Retail? $49.99 for the bottoms, $41.99 for the tops. Each. Whoopee!

And the fun was just starting. Oooo- winter coats. Need that. And a Columbia down vest for five dollar. I know they're about ninety-five dollars retail. Nice.  And that's a great looking white coat with a hood. I guess seven isn't too much.  All I need now is a pair of boots.

Off to Cabela's- why, I don't know and I never made it. But look down that street- Play it Again, Sam Thrift Store.  This is a work program for the developmentally disadvantaged and they were so sweet to ask me what I want. "Can I take those to the register?"  Sure, but what I really need is some prices.  And there in the corner-  cute white winter boots. And they match to the "new" coat.  Total price? - "I put your things in a bag for you. The boots are fifty cents and the bag is a dollar."  I did give a generous donation.  Or I thought it was generous until I got to Janet's.



"You got Sorel boots for fifty cents! Those things cost about a hundred bucks."

Women's Arctic Parka

 And here's the cute coat. "Is that real fur around the hood? You got a Woolrich winter coat for seven dollars? Good grief, girl."  Turns out the coat retails for $345.00. Nice.



Happy Shopping!  And look for the bargains in unexpected places.

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.