Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Through their eyes

The young woman strode vigorously around the gallery glancing at the art collection.  She paused and read the information on a large abstract painting I was studying. "Well, they have a Mark Rothko," she said loudly to her husband and hurried to the next room.






I had been enjoying his large blue and white Green on Blue (Earth-Green and White) 1956 but was also wondering why I or anyone did like his work. It's big blocks of color, deceptively simple. I thought it looked like the earth and when I read the title, a tiny wave of smug self-satisfaction rippled.  But the white was on the bottom- do you suppose they hung it upside down?  I suppressed a giggle. After all, at least I was appreciating the work.




I do love the layers of his colors you can see only when you get close up.


I was at the University of Arizona's art museum, mostly known for their stunning 16th century paintings of the retablo, or altarpiece from the cathedral of Rodrigo, Spain. I took a series of photos for a Easter blog post.  Then I went into a current exhibit and everything changed.



There on the walls were nice but rather simple works. I stopped and read the description of one. Here is what Debbie saw when she sat in front of Green on Blue.

"This is fantastic!... This is heaven."



"dark blue teal heaven with dark teal blue God who loves her and everybody else"








This is Brad's response to two very different pieces of art- the crucifixion scene from the retablo and a Georgia O'Keefe abstract. 






 I see a Romantic era portrait of upper class family life.


Vicki sees herself and her mother.








I spoke to Vicky. I told her I loved her picture. She peered at me through thick glasses, "I miss my mom."  

We both looked at the The Countess von Schonfeld with her Daughter. I saw a fine example of an 18th century oil.  Vicki was reminded of her mother's love and her good memories.  She was the one who was able to really see. 


I hesitate to publish this.  I saw the works in one morning this week and decided to return for the afternoon reception. I was distracted by my own response the the works and the people I met.   The gallery was crowded when I got the idea to share the images and I didn't take good pictures for publication.


I learned from these wonderful artists to put out what you have,  to share freely, and not to worry about what others think. I love art and I love people who love art. 

To the artists at Artworks, thank you for reminding me how to see.   


"...Rothko fought the notions that subject matter was absent in abstract art. His own themes were "basic human emotions....tragedy, ecstasy, doom."
...he abhorred the idea of explanations. 
Instead, Rothko believed the paintings constitute an intimate dialogue 
between the artist and the audience, 
and understanding comes from serious contemplation by the viewer."

Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.