Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Words, words and more words

Wow- what a weekend this has been.

Four years ago I met a woman at a writer's retreat near Tucson. We're in touch off and on and she generously offered me her very cool casita or guest cottage for this week.  God's blessings on you, Pam.





I'm within an easy walk of the University of Tucson and the fourth largest book festival in America was this weekend!  I'm in heaven... http://tucsonfestivalofbooks.org/?sid=23   And I've put the 2017 dates on my calendar.

I was too busy to blog so this is my catch-up retrospective- or the highlights. This would be a long blog if I shared all the amazing chats, books, authors, insights... I may be writing about this for awhile.  And I completely forgot to take even one picture of the tent city and the 100,000 people who shared the event with me. Plenty of pics online for the visually curious.
 I
So....some memorable times.

I wandered into a conversation with Cynthia Bond, author of Ruby, an Oprah Winfrey Book Club selection. I don't watch much tv so I missed all the hype but the book is doing very well. I was just drawn by the title of the event- A Conversation. Seemed liked a good thing for Sunday morning and it was a blessing. Yes, Cynthia screamed when Oprah called her cell. "I don't like your book. I love your book."— who doesn't want to hear that from Oprah? Then Cynthia couldn't tell anyone but her mother for two months.   I love hearing these stories- real people, in this case a single working mom writing for years and years. Just a lovely woman. With a great book.  http://cynthiabond.com/about-the-author/


I stood at a mic in the middle of a packed room and asked one of my favorite authors, William Kent Krueger about the sequel to his wonderful Ordinary Grace. We had met  at the SD book festival and he had said he was finishing it this year. That question turned out not to be my best idea but thankfully he had already broken the news to a previous workshop. He was dissatisfied with the finished project and had shelved the book.  Oops- but he was kind AND candid and it led to an interesting discussion about pulling the plug on a book, a book with a "very nice" advance.  I'll try not to make that faux pas again, felt akin to asking a woman when she's due.  He was so gracious as we walked to his signing and I apologized- such a lovely man. Whew.  I may need to dive into his mystery series.     http://www.williamkentkrueger.com/


I squeezed into every writing craft and publishing workshop possible. Thousands of people showed up and some wanted into my chosen seminar.  I was drinking from the firehose of the writing world and continually rubbing shoulders with fellow word lovers.  Today I'm sorting business cards, checking out websites and making a giant wish list of new books.

And finally, I bought a book of poetry, Washing the Dust from our Hearts, from the Afghan Women's Writing Project.  Facilitators lead online workshops all over Afghan to allow women to express themselves and begin "a quiet revolution powered by the pens..." Inspiring and universal.  http://awwproject.org/discover-awwp/history-mission/

"If I fail to tell my stories of my struggle,
I will lose myself." Hila




Needing to unwind my brain last night, I found a Taize service. Grace St.Paul's Lutheran church is about a mile from my casita and worship was a wonderful way to end a weekend full of words and people and stimulation and more words.



A labyrinth beckons. Another place for seeking deep and learning much, but here, we move into the silence where words are no longer needed.  What an amazing and rich storehouse—the human mind and soul.

1 comment:

  1. The thrill is still in your voice! So fun to imagine you there :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.