Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hospitality- Generosity with Open Hands


I sat in my friend’s kitchen as they hustled around me- their plans for that day’s travel have just changed. She had already cancelled her airline ticket, he just found out their space air flight was rerouted.  Their daughter needs her mom to bring the sandals, not the shoes; the cat comes in, the cat is put out.  My hostess already went to MOPS that morning while her husband met with an accountant for their taxes.

The gentle chaos of common life swirled around me.

 Oh, and a family of six will stay at their house while they are away. So beds were set up, sheets were changed.  Towels checked. 

A few years ago, my son met a man who said, “Any time you’re in the area, you can stay with us.”  Drew and his housemates ended up crashing on the man’s floor. All ten of them. WIth little notice.  And there was another couple there already.  Later that night, this hospitable man was outside his home and met some touring bicyclists. Chagrined that his house was full that night, he arranged for them to sleep at his church. 

My son was so impressed by this man and the hospitality he and his wife showed.  But he was amazed to learn that the couple was flying to Israel the very next day. 

Drew recounted that his new and wise friends said they were trying to live with enough margin in their lives so that whenever a need arose, they could be open to others. Live simply, be orderly. Be ready. Today, my hosts found out their plans would be changed. 

I love being the fly on the wall when life hits another family. 

There was some anxiety with the sudden changes but their world wasn’t rocked. They've  made room in their busy lives to be open to others. To be open to me.  We worked together to do the final touches with the house. I wasn’t made to feel uncomfortable or in the way.  “Stay as long as you need,” they assured me.

I want to live in a way that invites others to join in. Be open so others feel like they aren't a burden in my too busy life, for my too important schedule.  I have a key to my friend's house. I used their car. I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted.

I did leave before the next guests arrived.  And I know we all left their home blessed by a giving family.  The house isn’t palatial. The car is old. But the house and the car are available to those in need. They belong to generous people who hold them with open hands. 

Hospitable people. Like I want to be. 

For two years in a row, I have found myself at Keith and Sharon's for Bill's birthday.
We share root beer floats and love. 

And I am blessed by their hospitality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.