Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

More musing on Wyoming



I savored this trip, pulling off repeatedly for  a photo I couldn't resist; the ever present windmill spinning against the vast blue sky, cattle grazing in the sagebrush covered hills, elegant horses swishing through their days as they graze knee deep in the late summer grasses- a summer of abundant rain produced a rare green September .  I passed  ranchers harvesting hay for the winter, bundling the sun dried winnows of alfalfa into giant rolls of green. Other hay was bound in traditional bales and stacked in a checkerboard of tidy squares, the geometric pattern  reflecting the gold of the early afternoon sun. The timeless beauty of a land that has remained so constant in my memories was a strange ache, but at the same time a sweet balm to my soul.





I drove on toward my next destination and determined that I need a year to live in the prairie!   I've always thought about living a year in New York City or Italy- suddenly my heart longed to reconnect with this vast, wild land. I want to learn my desert lessons, to reflect on my journey and on the woman I've become in all the years since those first trips across the Wyoming countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.