Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

A Word for 2012

"Create"- 
  1. Bring (something) into existence
  2. Cause (something) to happen as a result of one's actions

make - produce - originate - generate - form - cause

Tall orders to issue to yourself!  But that's my word for this new year.  I have some "empty" time this winter and I intend to be creative and to be creative means to create. I'll write about this more in the months ahead but for now, I have some simple goals. Simple things to create.
 

I'm creating better health- I go to physical therapy and do the exercises I'm given. Simple. It just requires discipline- only God can say, "And let there be... " and it appears.

 I can and do speak health to myself but I also must lay on the floor and stretch my muscles.  Hmm.. I'd rather just speak it into existence. 

Creativity takes discipline and obedience to the truth you've been given. 



I'm creating order- again, no pronouncements into the cosmos and the stars automatically align. Nope, I'm sorting paper work and building files, preparing for taxes. That's not creative!  I'd rather be painting or writing or almost anything. 

But if God used His words and His energy to create order from cosmic chaos - why shouldn't my world reflect the creativity of order?  Why shouldn't my energy be expended to bring order and its resulting peace into the small corner of the world I've been entrusted with?  

Creativity means using my energy to do tasks I'd rather not do. 



I'm creating a book. There I said it. My goal is to publish and to publish, you have to have written material. Edited and rewritten material.  Edited, rewritten and aimed at an audience not just blogged out into space.   I'm in a great writing group and I've discovered I'm a sloppy writer. Ouch.  Yes, I can create a lyrical phrase, I can be a tad amusing. And I can be a mess to follow.  

God gave clear directions to His people. He told them how to make a tabernacle, then a temple. He gave commandments in stone. And finally, he came as a man and spoke in simple  stories and parables that his intended audience usually understood.  He took time to make his message known. I'm not writing Scripture but I want my words to be life affirming, life transforming. 

Creativity means laying myself aside and crafting for eternal purposes. 




So in this year of 2012, I'm learning a new vocabulary for creativity. I'd rather creativity be "lock myself in a fun studio, ignore the world and chaos around me,  and produce wonderful works of art and literature". 

 But instead it looks like I need to "cause (something) to happen as a result of one's actions" - work on discipline for my body, tackle some chores with a new outlook,  keep an eternal mindset for my chosen craft. 

Sounds creative to me! May you also find creativity in unexpected places this year.  

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.