Pages

Monday, February 15, 2016

The Touch of Community

She pokes into the black paste, then firmly traces a cross on my forehead with her finger- it is Ash Wednesday and we remind ourselves Easter is coming.  If we receive the cross of ashes in the morning, we show the entire world our solidarity with the suffering Christ.  The Community of Christ is marked with ashes, by touch.

A sermon this week has me thinking of community—what is it, how do we form it, how do we share what we have? I have no definitive theory but today my answer is touch.  All communities involve touch.




Families are formed by touch.  Tentative fingers feel for another's hand, culminating in the merging of lovers.  A mother caresses her newborn on her chest— a touch of welcome into the family made or changed by that child's arrival. A man reaches to squeeze his wife's shoulder, she pats his leg.  Our family holds hands around the table and bows in gratitude.


In our churches we greet or pass the peace with clasped hands and hugs. We pat the shoulder of a friend, offer our arms to the broken hearted. In our American culture, a first meeting involves touch as we shake hands in introduction.    In sports, rambunctious young men high five with open palms or bump chests after victory on the playing field.   All it takes is a small touch.  "I care for you. We are connected. We're a team."

But what about random touches?  What happens when we touch a stranger, in public?  We need to pass in a crowd and we softly touch a shoulder, "I'm here. Excuse me, please."-sometimes without saying a word.  Standing in line, a woman may tuck a tag into a stranger's blouse. We graze hands as we grasp the pole on the bus or train.  Usually there is a brief smile, a recognition we are here, together. Sharing the space, sharing the planet.

So how do we form community?  We touch. If even for the briefest moment we commune—French for "gathering of people sharing a common life."  What if we viewed the stranger as a member of our common life?  As God's creation worthy of care and respect? How can we share the fullness of Christ and use our words only when absolutely necessary.

I encountered a stranger at the Tucson gem show.  He sold skin care and we formed a small community for the half an hour he gently dabbed creams on my face and smoothed his magic under my eyes.  Yes. we established I was a Christian and wouldn't really enjoy a night at a club in his home of Las Vegas. Thank you, anyway.   But through touch and laughter, we shared our stories and found the common link of humanity.

Did I prevent despair? -it is said that even eye contact, let alone touch, can lift the spirits.  Likely not. He appeared quite happy and claims to love his job.  Did I impact his life at all? who knows? That's not mine to judge.  And of course, he was charming; I realize he was selling a product.  All I know was the time enriched me. I love the fascinating interaction with a stranger, the sharing of a slice of time.  He was worth my time and attention, as I much as I was worthy of his.

So Aaron, you asked what I write about and this is it- Life and love and people and Jesus and.... finding the touch of community.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.