Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve?

I'm sitting in a new place- the home of my crazy, fun, funny, " Oh wow, isn't it great that we can all cram into my house and have Christmas together!" sister.  And her very generous and tolerant husband. :)  I came with our mother and our children have descended, cooked, gamed, gifted and departed. Whosh- like a holiday on a giant slide. Finished too fast but lots of fun.

And this morning, I'm thinking of what I left behind.

There haven't been too many New Year Eve celebrations in the last ten or fifteen years that didn't include a party at our Virginia house.  People drove up to find no parking and flinched as my children (much younger then...) backed their cars down our five hundred foot long driveway.  Other party attendees, experience under their belt, walked up the driveway. Up.  Some huffed and puffed and moaned a bit about the hill. Some came in smiling, "I love that long walk up your driveway. Seeing the house all lit up... ah. " :)  Me too- one of my gentle heart aches is the absence of that lovely walk.
This is before we shoveled for cars!

My children became proficient at party preparation. They cleaned,
Quit playing and help me! :)
 moved furniture and our vehicles, cooked.
Paul's famous Tiramisu
If it was warm enough, they'd blow the deck and set a fire. If it was a true winter, they shoveled snow.  We would set everything up and collectively panic that there wasn't much food, when would people arrive, would it be... enough?  It was. It always was.  Guests arrived laden with food and games. With appetites and good cheer.  It was more than enough.

I loved hearing, "I haven't seen you in ..." Usually months, occasionally years. The invitation list changed as our community expanded and with those changes, relationships took on new patterns.  But New Year's Eve was often the time to reconnect all the pieces.  We would play goofy games or no games. The kids became young adults and video watching changed to joining our games or creating their own.   We've played charades with much laughter and also sat in a quiet circle with lit candles to share dreams and tears.  We've prayed and sanctified our time reflecting on our blessings.  We toasted with champagne and grape juice. We've been together.


And now I am here, not there.  My sons and daughter-in-love have left and I'm here with Abby for a few more days.  This is a new life. She is expecting my first grandchild. I'll be driving to her home for the arrival of the baby in the spring.  Life is good.

But it is my day for reflection and as I think back, I chose to remember our parties. The loaded tables, favorite dishes crowding the space. The greetings, the hugs, the gentle reminders that we shared as community, as fellow sojourners in life. The heart ache of the wayward children, the shared loss of Bill.  The joys of weddings and grandchildren. Conversations that bubbled in every corner.  Life.

So on this day as we prepare for 2012, you are remembered and celebrated. I wanted to send out a funny invitation- "Show up with a dish to share- I'm sure Joe and Shannon will be thrilled to know they have purchased a party house!" hmm...maybe not.

Or "The Clevelands are having their party! You are all invited!  There's no long driveway but it is in Parker, Colorado!" hmmm.... doubt anyone would come. 




So instead, know that you are missed. I love the West. I miss my friends and community back in the East. There is no party this  year but there are sweet memories of parties past. And the assurance that there will someday be a PARTY to end all parties and we'll never have to leave. We'll be home.

Home....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these thoughts, Kathy! Beautiful and hopeful!

    Ron & Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Home..." Nothing quite like it..... "Happy New Year," Kathy. Dave Stevens.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.