Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Peace after the storm

 I rode back from the hospital yesterday with my sister in law, no, my sister in LOVE.  We were crazy, foolhardy, but  still protected... the road was a mess. I wasn't in the frame of mind to take pictures in the worse of it but this is about what our visibility was-



This is, honestly, out my fogged window after we were relieved to be on the home stretch. 
This was after it got better- thank you, Jesus, we can see the road.

And there are tracks! We aren't alone!


Five miles to go and only one more big hill and slick turn.
Practically giddy with relief. 

We were in her really big truck- Clyde's size big- with 4wheel drive and a experienced Alaskan snow storm driver.  Well, two experienced drivers but I let her drive. I did suggest we pick up food, just in case - if you slide of the road on an afternoon like yesterday, they may not find you until daylight. And her truck is white.  So we had pizza with us for carbs. just in case.... I'd have to be desperate to eat what we picked up. 


And we arrived safe and sound. We had to stop several times and fix frozen wiper blades, one which popped off into the snow twice. We did get gas before we left Rapid City- thanks Dad for nagging me about keeping a decent amount in the tank. We had boots and gloves and a sense of humor.  

We bonded. 


And this morning, the dry crystalline snow is blowing around my yard.
For a brief moment, I had sun.

Winter isn't over yet.

I've never had it drift up onto the door.
Hey, the porch is COVERED.

Wind

I judged the wind would come from the south so this is my north porch.

That's my firewood.
I misjudged.
(Just talked to my mother- I didn't misjudge the wind, I'm directionally challenged.
This is south.  EIther way... duh)

And this is my view INSIDE my house. 

I'll love to stay in all day and writer but I'll go in and take my mother to the hospital later. My driveway is pretty drifted and I'll go ski some tracks into it for the car to get out. I have all wheel drive and it handled in the last drifts just fine. The skiing is just my excuse to get out there in the white stuff.



I'm feeling grateful- for a sister in love who cares so much for my brother; I'm grateful for my brother who is still with us and will come back with his wife to their cozy home across the road.  I'm grateful that God protected us when clearly we were out of our minds to travel yesterday.   I'm grateful for a God who dwells with us in these cozy homes, in big trucks, in scary hospitals.




Once again, I'm reminded of the Creator God who came down, 
as a Babe, 
to dwell among his Creation. 
To create peace on earth and goodwill to men.  


And I'm grateful to be one of His "men", His human creation, 

that He dwells right here with me. 
I have His peace, I have His goodwill.  

1 comment:

  1. It appears God is fond of snow! I live south of Cleveland and we are at long last flirting with Spring. My heart is in my mouth re your drive in the snow. I confess this is my least fave thing to do. While snow is beautiful, I like it "out there"while I'm "in here"! Bushes are beginning to bud, the days are longer....I loathe getting up in the dark...and finally Robin's are nesting...they are a whole month late. Humming birds usually arrive here by March 19, and last year a third of the population died. This year I have yet to see one buzzing the sugar water hanging on the front porch. Love your chatty down to earth blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.