Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Incarnation

All night rain pounded on the copper roof, by morning the ground was soaked and puddled. Instead of riding my bike to church, I drove and still arrived late. I tried to slid inconspicuously into a back pew but was quicly aware I was the only woman wearing jeans. And boots.  Clearly not the liturgical dress code in Charleston, South Carolina.  I was instantly my own biggest distraction.


So I sat and took sermon notes, followed the Scripture readings, joined in the prayers but as we settled into preparation for the Eucharist, my heart wasn't really receiving.  My head was engaged but I needed move from watching to participating, from ritual to worship.


How often do I watch without participating? 
How much as I unaware of the holy? 

Do we see Him? Our God made Man. 
Incarnate, in-carne, Latin for in-flesh




Incarnation:  a concrete or actual form of a quality or concept;

This is also incarnation-  an idea made palpable.  The Incarnation of Christ brings the Word, the Light of the World, into our physical and corporeal world.  Are there other times when mere ideas can become tangible?  Does God continue to reveal Himself to us in transforming ways?



As I knelt in a musty chapel, that very moment became incarnational.  For as the people began to rise pew by pew and make their way to the altar,  the music changed.  Instead of the organ and small, quavering choir, a piano introit softly began "O Holy Night." I knelt and waited.


                                            O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining, 

It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth. 
Long lay the world in sin and error pining. 
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth. 

A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices, 
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. 

Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices! 

O night divine, O night when Christ was born;  
O night, O Holy night, O night divine.







A angelic voice was pouring from a young man bent over piano keys, his long blonde hair falling over his eyes.  His voice filled the space and my heart heard.  I became aware.  The weekly ritual of worship was transformed for me.  For this moment, awe hung in the very air. The ordinary became holy. A normal action now infused with beauty.



Truly He taught us to love one another, 
His law is love and His gospel is peace. 
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother. 
And in his name all oppression shall cease. 

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we, 
With all our hearts we praise His holy name. 

Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we, 

His power and glory ever more proclaim! 
His power and glory ever more proclaim!



The music washed over us and people slowly made their way forward to receive. My thought?, "This is amazing music. This is an extraordinary moment.  They don't appear amazed or impressed. Can't they hear this music or feel the charge in the air?"



How often does God show up and we miss him? 
Can we miss the ordinary transformed to extraordinary?  

Or does God sometime just reach down and touch a moment for us, 
 a personal gift, 
a kiss of His love?



I learned the young man was their contemporary worship leader, perhaps the congregation hears him sing all the time.  But for me, the unexpected sound led to a holy moment. My worship experience was transfused with glory, his music incarnated holiness and beauty for me.



The music ended. We read the final prayer together and made our way out of the chapel. The moment was over. The rain had stopped and the sun was back. The world continued. But I'm looking for the next moment.








O Holy Night. 

O Holy Moment.

His power and glory ever more proclaim. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder .....attentiveness. Thinking of you and praying for your time in SD
    Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.