Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Tis the season .... for the oil of gladness

I'm traveling and that means I only take what I really think I need. And inevitably, I end up questioning why I brought those pants and where are those shoes, etc. And my small beauty regimen is pared down to the very basics.  But as a woman of a certain age! it does include a variety of small bottles of oil.

There's argan oil which is elixir for fragile skin- I've recently discovered that I'm not just "fair" aka, pasty white, but my skin is considered the rare "red-head skin."  I would have laughed at the woman had she not described my thin, easily bruised, prone to fungus, dry skin to a tee. So I watch my ingredients and smooth on drops of oil from Morocco. Hmm.... how many red-heads live there?

Then there's a sample of miracle oil to fade an annoying age spot- so far, no miracle. I have jojo oil for my body and drops of Melalucca oil for my toes. I have a persistent earache that has it's own little bottle. I'm the traveling snake oil purveyor!

But during this sweet visit with dear friends, I am slathered and soaked in the oil of friendship.  I slipped and slid in belly laughs with an old friend- what a joy to reconnect and howl with laughter at old jokes that only she and I could embrace.   I sit right now in front  of a fire and enjoy the rich oil of friendship and fellowship with my hostess.  Yesterday my cup overflowed. What beauty in sharing the oil of joy pressed from adversity and suffering.  Friendship is truly the oil of gladness.


And it is Christmas,
 the Season of gladness. 

God's friendship toward us. 

God with us, Emmanuel. 




I am burdened by many customs of the American Christmas season but one blessing that comforts me year after year is the music.  Classical choral music rejoices "Angels We Have Heard on High" and proclaims "O Holy Night".  Even politically correct NPR proclaims, "In a Bleak Midwinter" "Love Came Down at Christmas".  I LOVE hearing God's love and Christ's birth piped into grocery stores, malls and filling stations. My eyes always fill up at "I'll be Home for Christmas." and I can go the rest of my life without hearing "Jingle Bell Rock" but I'm weird enough to chuckle at "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer". Sick, I know.


Last  night was a incredible treat. Not only did I enjoy a ride with a dear friend to the concert, I was drenched in the oil of joy with the magnificence of exceptional choral music. I hope to sit quietly with the lyrics and replay the melodies that are still lingering in my mind. We packed a beautiful old church and I wanted to shout at the audience, "Do you have ANY idea of the quality of this music?!!" I love my life in South Dakota and appreciate the classic music I can get but to hear the finest voices and brass players in our nation's capital was such a feast for my ears.  http://www.fairfaxchoralsociety.org/


So I woke this morning and did my little oil rituals. I smile to remember my conversations over these last few days. I hum snatches of Christmas carols.  And I suspect the Babe in the Manger looks down where He lay, this earth that marches to its own tune most of the year, and smiles.  For the sweet aroma of praise and adoration in our Christmas carols floats up to heaven.  Rejoice, REJOICE, Emmanuel- shall come to thee.....


Do we hear the music? Do we pause to listen? I try to care for my body but it's also my soul that needs the soaking and pampering in this season.  Quiet times with dear friends, glorious music, pausing to ponder, waiting for the Day.  This is the oil of life and love, the oil of gladness.



Love came down at Christmas, Love all lovely, Love divine;
Love was born at Christmas; star and angels gave the sign.

2
Worship we the Godhead, Love incarnate, Love divine;
worship we our Jesus, but wherewith for sacred sign?

3 
Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine;
love to God and all men, love for plea and gift and sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.