Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Selma- "Where were you? Do you remember?"

Last night I went to see Selma in the movie theater.  I rarely go to movies alone but after all the questions raised in my mind by Ferguson and wanting to write something for Martin Luther King Day, it seemed providential.

I found a middle section seat and excused myself to pass the three or four women already in the row. I left one seat between me and the next person- standard public seating etiquette at least for Americans. But more women joined their group and they moved down the aisle to accommodate them.  Asked if she needed me to move, the woman to my left assured me I was fine.  So I found myself sitting next to a perfect stranger for a movie about the injustice and brutalities done to her race...by my race.

The movie is moving and educational and revealing and powerful. Without giving too much away- because everyone needs to go see this movie.... the opening scenes caught me off guard and I sat with tears streaming down my face. Sniffling and looking for Kleenex.  And it only got worse.

I knew about this events. I read the accounts, not in my history books in this detail, but I had read about the church bombings and the march from Selma to Montgomery.  A few years ago as I drove to the East coast, I chose to drive through Alabama to see Montgomery and Tuskegee.  For reasons I'm still not sure I understand, Tuskegee was uncomfortable, alien and I was glad to retreat to the comfort and familiarity of a military base at nearby Fort Benning.  But it's one thing to know facts and tour sites, it's something else to live it. I didn't live this.

At one point, the woman next to me leaned over and whispered, "Did you know about this? Before the movie?"  I did but when she asked me where I was and if I remembered the events, I replied, "I was a child of ten living in Alaska without a television. I never heard a thing."

We gasped and cringed at the same scenes. We shared in her story. My world got a little wider.

Before the movie I attended a Celtic music mass celebrating the second Sunday after Epiphany.



....remembering that God brings light to any darkness. Let us pray.


After the movie we moved down the ramp to exit and my new acquaintance and I spoke a few words. "What can I do? "I asked.  "Be open, educate, share what you know, be a light."  Amen, sister. 


Earlier my service had ended with a hymn by one of my favorite contemporary composers. 

Wind upon the Waters
by Marty Haugen

Wind upon the waters, voice upon the deep,
 rouse your sons and daughters, wake us from our sleep, 
breathing life into all flesh, breathing love into all hearts, 
living wind upon the waters of my soul.  
  

Blazing light of wonder, flame that pierces night,
 burst the dark asunder, fill our souls with light. 
Lord of glory, fill the skies, make an end to hatred’s cries, 
be the blazing sun of justice in our lives.

Amen, brother.  








2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Selma and I don't remember much from my childhood. I grew up in Pennsylvania surrounded by homes that were a part of the Underground Railroad and Quaker meeting houses--somehow I thought we were above that racial inequality stuff. I knew so little.
    But I remember an uncomfortable situation at Stone Mountain, GA--maybe we were together! :) As I watched the laser show flash across the mountain, I waited for Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic to play; it was my favorite part. Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson dismount, break their swords over their knees and pray. But "Dixie"--because I was sitting next to a black family, I heard it differently--or I wondered if they did.

    I have no answers to the violence in Ferguson or the horrid discrimination in our nation's past and present. I guess I can just try to realize that there are more stories than mine and I need to hear them.
    Thank you for making me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post Kathryn. I knew you were simmering with thoughts and this is very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.