Pages

Friday, January 10, 2020

The Hopes and Fears of all the Years

Dearest readers- however few and however far,

This blog has been a wonderful place to vent and muse and develop ideas and tell even silly stories. Each year I commit to writing more and most times I fail. I perfectly realize that without consistent writing, there is not consistent readership and someday when (not if!) I publish my book, I may regret my sporatice nature.

But it was after my last post that I realized how much I need to write and put my words out to the world. The lovely notes and cards and texts after Rain, Rain, Go Away reminded me of the immesurable value of community and sharing.  I was raw and overwhlemed and so many responded with kindness. And those who didn't must have sent my words on because many people read them. And if I was comforted, I trust my words comforted some as well- if nothing else but with the knowledge we are not alone in this life. Our sorrow is the sorrow of being human and the price of Love. But shared sorrow is a gift to the soul.

I'm glad to see 2019 go. It's been a year of great highs and great lows. But it ended on a beautiful high note of shared joy with the marriage of my most beloved sister to a wonderful and kind man. A few of us spent New Year's Eve in front of a roaring fire at my cabin.  My niece and I toasted in the new year with ginger beer in a moment of black skies awash with diamonds. We stood by the porch rail, wrapped in blankets,  with the darkened house behind us. I reminisced about the night her father and I stood in the same spot and gazed at a similar sky.  He had called Janet and I out to see the stars and the wonder in his voice is a sweet memory.  The seasons pass, he rests in eternity and years go by. The stars shoot out their beauty and we are small beneath them.



The next day after they left, I rose and climbed to meet that starlight, hidden by the light of the sun but nevertheless, shining on me.  After our merry band stuffed ourselves on a potluck breakfast, we hiked to the top of the highest peak between the Rockies and the Pyreenes. We tromped in a broken path of snow and over bare rocks, in glorous sunshine to a stiff breeze on the top. I haven't hiked as much as I'd like since my trek to Spain and it felt so good to stretch myself and dig in to accomplish the summit. Single women all, we celebrated our strengths and camaraderie.  We waited for each other and chased a confused dog who bolted back up the trail in search of his mistress. I just met three of the women but as we shared stories and pushed ourselves, we made community.



No camera at the top, but the view, even without know is wonderful. 

 So I sit and muse and try to craft this small story, reminding myself of the joys of new beginnings and new stories to be lived and told. I pray you have a new start toward the light of the stars that always shine down, sending us delight, seen and unseen. 

Above thy deep and dreamless sleep 

The silent stars go by
Yet in thy darkness shineth
The everlasting light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in Thee tonight

 That Light is always shing, deepest sorrows and highest joys. In valleys and on summits, hopes and fears are met with his Light.  Blessings on 2020 as we live in the Light of Love- together. 

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.