Pages

Friday, March 20, 2020

WTH- Life isn't supposed to go this way!

Similar to other long, dark winters, I planned a lovely meander to sunshine and warm weather.  This year my trip included friends and their condo on the Gulf of Mexico. Blithly, I dismissed the idea of a simple virus interferring with my life and headed south.
I love live oaks. 
And now I'm social distancing in place and my trip will only include a quick dash home. No dogwood blossoms in NC, no anticipated chats with dear friends, no garden visits in Savannah or Charleston, no Easter Vigil in D.C.   And if I had to be stuck somehwere, this is about perfect. 

Except it's not. These dear friends are in the middle of a personal family crisis. No details are needed because similar events are happening in many homes, throughout America and around the world. Familes are awaiting the birth of babies, women and men are nervously watching their bank statements or hoping for phone calls to return to work. Family disfunction still simmers, maybe to boil over in the heightened stress. Health workers are working hard and you know some of them are dealing with crap at home. Life continues- with or without social distancing and the threat of a little known virus.

I have a habit of reading whatever I find by my guest bed when I travel.  It's an interesting way to expand my reading selection and occasionally I find a great new author.  This trip?  There was Victor Frankel's Man's Search for Meaning, written in nine days after he survived four concentration camps in WWll.  Not light reading but it has been such a juxtaposition with Covid19. Yes, we are in the midst of a very scary situation with many vulnerable people.  But most of us have so much agency over our lives.

I could quote Frankel all day but one thought especially stands out-

“The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity — even under the most difficult circumstances — to add a deeper meaning to his life. It may remain brave, dignified and unselfish. Or in the bitter fight for self preservation he may forget his human dignity and become no more than an animal.” 
― Viktor Emil Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning


In the lowest, most degrading time of his life, Frankel came to realize that how we chose to react to life is the measure of what it means to be fully human.  And this can be a time for us to chose our reactions as well. 

One of my wise sons sent out a great list of things to do- laugh, read the Psalms, create something beautiful...

"Whatever your capacity and circumstances may be, 
be pro-active with your love and energy!"    

Such good words- so I'm limiting screen time, taking long walks with six feet between me and my friend (sometimes- after all, we are all in one condo together) and taking pictures. Seeking or recording or reating beauty revives me. Find what revives you and do it with your full capacity.  Then take a nap! 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.