Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Community- it's messy and sweet

This trip hasn't exactly gone as I expected, as I had planned.


I envisioned myself parked in a campground for days at a time with long walks and bike rides  each day. I'd eat healthy and lose weight. I'd write hours a day and have great thoughts, talk to God, walk on water. A simple life on the road. 


I'd also be alone. Self sufficient. I'd figure out how the mechanics of the camper works and be a competent camper.  Maybe I'd meet interesting strangers and have those conversations that can come from - "I'll never see these people again". The ones that seem so significant but are ultimately superficial to me since I'd have no vested interest in their lives after our short time together.  Life on my terms.  Lovely.


But instead God has me in community. Messy community. 


I've slept at six or seven  different beds. No, just added it up and it's been ten! Ten strange beds in two months. 


 I had three weeks of baby preparation fun with my lovely daughter- can't complain there. I met new writing friends in  Tucson and enjoyed great but not enough time with my brother and family.  Then it got less fun, less about me. 


 I stayed with a dear friend who is going through a huge transition full of turmoil and angst. I went back to cancer land and sat in a hard chair in a hospital.  I walked with a new friend through family landmines and pain.  A weekend in Milwaukee brought me low as I saw it through the eyes of a new transplant having a painful transition.  Even more painful, the transplant was my son. 


I've had to accommodate other people's schedules to return a car. When I called my next landing pad, I found out my plans weren't good for them. Delay? Change? Submit to someone else's plans? blech...


So what's so sweet about community? 


Various friends have expressed so much appreciation for our time together. I have been well loved. It has been a reminder of the wonderful foundation of friendships established here and how community can survive separation. 


While I was helping the new friend in cancer land, I visited the hospital where Bill was treated. I saw cherry blossoms and didn't cry. It was closure; it was good.  


I did have a few significant conversations with some strangers... strangers I'd like to stay connected to. And I am grateful all over again for my wonderful sister and our sweet relationship.


The delay meant I had time to ran around and help friends with a house rehab project. And then, found out at the store that I had forgotten my purse but remembered a friend nearby- I dashed into their house just as they were leaving on vacation yelling, "I need money!"  Messy me, messy community.


And sweet... turns out they had one a sweet roll behind and I got it for my breakfast. 


That's what community is- messy, inconvenient, giving to others, not on my agenda....


and completely sweet.  Life giving nourishment. Even better than a sweet roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.