Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Messing around in boats


There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)


Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base
 North Carolina

Canoe or kayak?
Or classic trawler?

Kayak, of course! 

It aggravates my tendonitis so I probably need some paddle lessons but I love to kayak.  The kayak is a lightweight water craft that's easy to maneuver, glides when you need to rest and completely quiet.  Perfect. 


Heading across the water toward the Marston Pavillion -
"Just don't go LEFT to the open water."
OK by me....


This is the bridge I rode my bike across.
Now I'm going under it!

You know all the pictures the younger generation take of themselves with their phones?  Trying to do it in a kayak is a little tough- I definitely need to practice some time when I can stay still.  And which button does what?

Do I turn it this way?


Is that the right button?


How close do you get?
And keep the boat from drifting into the sun- bad light.


There- lose the sunglasses and just push that button!
On closer inspection- leave the sunglasses on or wear some make up!
I have no vanity. (Yes, I do- you should see all the shots I deleted)

Ah..... feet.
Feet are easy to photograph.



Wildlife viewing. 

Love the light on the water.
 I headed back to the dock, my mission of capturing my water adventure accomplished. I'm working on an article about recreation at Camp Lejune and needed a few photos. I've written one travel article for Military Travel magazine and plan to do more.  http://militaryliving.com/   

A few months ago, this magazine published an article on their web site extolling the amazing joys of space available travel and how "everyone" should avail themselves of this wonderful military perk.

I can't use Space-A.  You must travel with your sponsor and mine has made his final journey.



So I wrote a rather sarcastic email and fired it off to their handy "contact us" link. Turns out the founder/publisher reads her own emails and I  ended up with a new and very understanding friend.  Ann Caddell Crawford is one amazing woman and a ball of energy. She was a military wife who followed her husband....and took her three small children to Vietnam. In 1963.        http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/1138

So long story short, she read my blog about my trips this winter and we talked about her magazine and  the overlooked group of military retirees without spouses.  Would they also be traveling and having stories to tell? You bet!

So I submitted a story about Camp Benning, GA and she's adding a feature to the magazine for solo military retirees.  I'm sure others will contribute but for now I am the voice of "Flying Solo" at Military Travel magazine.

It is fun to see your name in print.    :)

 New Feature! Flying Solo: RV hijinks with Kathryn Cleveland
http://militaryliving.com/

Heading home.

Pictures taken, I turned and headed back to the marina. By this time my forearms were aching and knots were forming along those pesky tendons.  I rested and thought a bit about what I'd write about. It's quiet and peaceful.  And soon, too hot- I forgot how much I detest hot, muggy weather.  So I dug my paddle in and created my own cooling breeze as I glided across the water.

As I approached the marina docks, two young Marines were leaving. They were young and strong but a bit clueless. Their movements powerful but ineffective. They'll learn... or get tendonitis in a few years!

But I was reminded that I've been out on the waters of life, so to speak, for a long time and I've learned to glide a bit. Dig deep when I need to, enjoy the glide when I can, be at peace with my pace.  Those young bucks were just starting out and more power to them.  I'm on the back stretch, heading back to the dock and that's just fine.  We're all out there moving through the water!




And another young family pushes off from the dock.
Let the adventure begin! 



3 comments:

  1. We did that --canoe--about a hundred years ago! What fun!
    Congratulations on seeing your name in print--now even more people will be blessed by your adventure!
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Catherine, Ran across this on the web - thanks about telling about how we met - and your article. I'm afraid my ball of energy is running out; everything takes longer now - and my true understanding of how to function correctly on the computer is, indeed, limited.

    Thank you,however, for the nice compliment - it is fun to look back after founding Military Living(r) 45 years ago. Wish I still had your "dad gone I'm gonna do it attitude" that was so prevalent in my younger years. Let's stay in touch - I've been snowed under lately and sorry we have not talked as much as we did at first. Thanks again, Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.