Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Water, water, everywhere....

I grew up on a dairy farm in Alaska- swimming meant a cold spring fed lake. And we only went when the temperature was above 80- which didn't happen everyday.  Unless it was the 4th of July- we always swam the 4th of July, even if we "had to take off our parkas to do it", as my father loved to say. 

I did swim. I was of the generation who had to pass a swim course to graduate from college. I did laps at 7700 ft above sea level to take swim classes in PE and  prepare for my test. Pant, pant. Now I feel sorry for all those East coast kids who came from sea level.

But my husband grew up in a company town with a Dale Carnegie library AND a YMCA with an indoor pool.  He was a fish.  He learned to scuba dive in that pool and a nearby lake. In Okinawa, I did learn to dive- and on my first open water dive, I sucked down a full tank of air while the rest of the class slowly descended. I had to go back up to the surface almost as soon as the last person got down.   


But somehow our union produced four little fishes. All our kids swam before they walked- not across the pool but between Bill and I.  We raised them in warm, coastal climates and as kids, they were as comfortable in water as I was clamoring over Colorado rocks at the their age.  Water babies. 

But now, I love water. I love the sounds, the soothing rhymthms, the cooling splash. I just prefer to float on  the surface instead of swimming below it.  I did a bit of sailing in high school and Bill and I had a wonderful sail on the Cheseapeake years ago.  So it feels natural to enjoy a  quiet little boat. 





Ah.... relaxing on a kayak

Dreaming of a bigger boat? Naw- just a cool shot



So a few days ago, I got out on the water but this week was also the beginning of creating the next generation of water babies.  Here's my first grandson in....water!


"I like water.... I think."

"Just don't drop me!"





First time in the pool! 

In safe hands....

"Right?  You got me, don't ya?"





And at the beach!  Josiah is two months old today.

Ta da!  Super baby! 

"I'm getting bored.
And I want my daddy's tan. Mom looks pretty good too but I'm so pale! "

"And there I am with mama and my Bebe"




All that water just wears me out!


....and another little fish is initiated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.