Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

We take a break from our usual programming.....

On the road again.... just can't wait to get on the road again.  sigh....

Yep, another road trip calls.  My mom asked me to "go with" her, aka, "drive her" to Dubois, Wyoming.   She actually would probably take off on her own but she's finally getting a bit wiser in her golden years and realizes that driving 14 hours for a weekend isn't as easy at 84 than at 54. (And neither of those ages are accurate- Mom's cause I can't remember how old she is and the 54 cause it fits nice with the 84.  Don't ask- it's 6am!)

So in about an hour or as soon as I figure out my voice mail for my phone, I'm off to Rapid City to pick her up and off we go to Dubois. "Where Real Cowboys Work and Play"

http://www.focusproductions.com/Images/MtnCtry_Images/Dubois.downtown81.jpg


Dubois is an authentic western town located along the Wind River, rimmed by the Absarokaand Wind River Mountains. It's an area of striking contrasts from the badlands to the high peaks. It is among American Cowboy Magazine's Best Rural Towns of 2012. http://www.duboiswyoming.org/



Mom will share the weekend with college friends as they celebrate the live of my dad's best friend, Gunny. He has real name but Gunny is the name we always heard when college stories come out.  They attended Colorado Agricultural and Mechanical College (Colorado A&M) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_University

Later the school became Colorado State University and I graduated from there in 1977.  My dad and Gunny graduated in 1949. (My mom will correct me if either date is wrong! or her age.... she has more capacity for numbers at whatever her age is than I do. Scary times ahead )  My dad and Gunny enjoyed their years at Colorado A&M with skiing at Aspen with a T-bar, shenanigans at various local establishments , etc.  One of those life long freindships forged in college.



Tetons- one of my favorite mountain ranges.

A perfect reason for a road trip.  Celebrate, be together and hey, it's only 30 miles from Dubois to the Tetons.

 It's not like we're driving I 95 to ANYWHERE!


2 comments:

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.