Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter in the Heart of the Hills


Easter

It’s Saturday of the Easter week and some years, I do contemplate the hours of Christ in the tomb.  This year, my chest feels like a tomb and I’m a bit self-absorbed.  I can read but not think.

But I’m in the Heartland of America. There are notices of church services in prominent places at the market and post office.  Hotels advertise EASTER brunch. Not holiday or weekend, EASTER.   The only grocery store has Happy Easter on the front door- so it’s the Easter bunny, not the Risen Savior but no one’s offended by the reference to a clearly religious event. A Christian religious event.

Then I looked over one of the local attraction brochures for the Black Hills. In the Custer section, the town central to the Southern Black Hills, are listed - Attractions, Banks, Churches, Convenience Stores...  The merchants or churches obviously write their own blurbs and you can chose between “Please join us for worship at Custer Elementary School… use the northwest door.” or “Mountainview Baptist… obeying the words of Christ in Mathew 28:18-20.” or Vineyard Black Hills, “My wife Rose and I desire to serve Custer in the area of hospitality, music, ministry, healing, spiritual brokenness, community unity and provide a place of worship and spiritual growth in Jesus Christ.”  There- Jesus.  Right in print, in a vacation guide. Love it.

I was given a Hill City phone book today. “Hill City – The Heart of the Hills”     All aboard Hill City- “A community building unity between residents, businesses, churches and civic organizations.” 

Unity. It’s what He spent these hours in the grave to accomplish. Unity between us and the Father. Unity between each other.  Unity between residents, churches and civic organizations.  I like that.  

Welcome, Risen Savior, welcome to Hill City, South Dakota, the Heart of the Hills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.