Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sick and TIred




Reality hit. I’m no longer 25 or even 35.  Months of emotional toil, physical labor and lots of driving and I’m the college student home for the break- as soon as it’s safe to let down, the body’s defenses do and here I am.

“Oh, there’s lots of that going around. … “ and gruesome details follow. But it’s all in a friendly “we’re all in this together” attitude.  Yes, Mother, I did go out today but not to Rapid.  Just to town.   Town being Hill City and a mere ten miles and fifteen minutes; cell phone coverage picks up about half way unless you’re with AT&T and then it’s spotty, even in town.  Rapid of course is Rapid City and a lovely little city it is, too.

But Hill City (which is not a city, merely a town) has it’s own charm especially before the tourists descend. It has developed quite a reputation for the arts and has a busy schedule that the friendly woman at the visitor center was eager to share, “But you really should take care of that cough, there’s a lot of that going around.”

The post office closes at 10:30 on Saturday so I couldn’t show my ID and get a new box assigned me. Number 401 is on the top row and my brother’s right- I can’t see into it or even get my arm in there.  I’ve driven past several times without realizing that’s the post office so maybe if I’m feeling better on Monday, I’ll try again.  I haven’t had a post office box since college, the one in Italy didn’t count because it was on base and Bill always checked the mail. This one is all mine. And empty. I think.

I wandered down the back street- yep, there’s a Main Street and Railroad Street. It parallels the 1890 narrow gauge tracks for the vintage, remove steam trains that haul visitors through the Black Hills.   I have no idea what remove steam means but the train winds through classic Western film scenery and the last time I rode, I nursed a child the entire two hours.  Lesson to young families, do what YOU want to do – neither son remembers the 1890 train ride OR Wind Cave.  And yes, you can nurse a baby all the way through a cave tour. With a young and cute national park guide.  I remember feeling old. Ha!

Hill City does have a few side streets but the action takes place on Main or Railroad, also known as the Bypass. The train’s summer season start May 2nd so today’s big event is the Senior Center Rummage Sale.  I buy some stuff I probably don’t need, find a find in the freebie box- do these people not know what treasure that cracked pottery is?  The cough syrup is clearly going to my head. 

By now, my head is aching, my back is stiff and I have to get out of public but my whole trip was to satisfy a craving for my own chicken soup. The proven cure for all ailments.  I wandered the aisles of Krull’s market, pronounced “krols- long o”.  I guess cruel’s market has a less marketable sound. It has an adequate produce section and I find two kinds of fresh garlic- one clearly labeled, “Product of China”. Nice to know.  I buy the other, more expensive one. The one made in the USA.  I find sweet onions, chicken, salt- I go for the Morton’s at 88 cents so I don’t look like a complete tourista paying $2.68 for sea salt.  Note to self, bring a big bag of sea salt from Trader Joes’ or at least from Rapid City.  The closest Trader Joe’s is in Chicago or maybe Minneapolis.  Who knows-without internet I am factless.  But it is a LONG way away. Very sad.

I sit in the parking lot in the sun and clear off the messages on my cell phone. I make a couple of calls but I am fading fast and still need to drive home.  My soup calls.

So now, I’ve smashed garlic, caramelized onions, snapped off the ends of the Easter dinner asparagus and added them with some chopped celery and carrots.  I deboned chicken and saved the meat for a real meal,  tossed all the skin and fat into the veggies  and made a killer soup.  I napped, then drank soup all day and read the final chapter of James Michener’s Iberia. 

 I have read and reread his small discussion on education. He was college professor at one time and advocated an in-depth study of a narrow slice of history across cultures. It’s on page 144 and 145 if you want to read about it but Michener’s preferred time frame would be the 1530’s when Spain was the force to be reckoned with in Europe.  He was quite enamored with all things Spanish. I curled up with my endless cups of broth and plotted a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela with Mr. Michener as my guide.

The day ended as well as could be expected.  I’m still sick but the house is full of the smells of chicken soup, my brother stuck his head it to make sure I was still alive and I decided to have decaf and a biscotti for dinner. Make it two.  I’m sick. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like the perfect day. (other than the being sick part). And if you can stand the chaos, we should do the Santiago de Compostela together :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.