Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Faywood Hot Springs. Clothing optional


What you can do with concrete and lots of hot water. 

I heard about Faywood Springs in New Mexico and decided that would be my destination after leaving El Paso.  Soaking in hot thermal, therapeutic pools sounded fabulous.  Always read the small print. http://www.faywood.com/




Some of the soaking pools here at the resort and even the camping areas around them are "clothing optional".  But- what does that mean?  It means others have the option of taking off their clothes in those areas. It does not mean I am obligated to remove mine.  Or go into that section.  Easy solution.

Even easier?  There was no one else there!  A nice caretaker opened the gate, handed me a key to a cute cabin and gave me his phone number. "Call if you need anything." And... I had cell coverage!


Nice room with small fridge, microwave and a sink. Table and cool chairs.
Plus bath and a loft- explains the ladder. It's for the loft, not the bath.



Later that afternoon, I heard  a couple of people talking while they soaked in the other pools but never saw anyone. The whole place was like wandering around your own fabulous backyard.  There were some RVs but the cabins were just waiting for some lucky traveler. 


Amazing  soaks- hot, not so hot, mild and a small cool foot bath by each one-great idea. The water is full of minerals and have been used for centuries, at least, as medicinal baths. 

Here is a link to the fascinating history of the springs. 




The sun was setting.... quick, run down to the soaking pools. And enjoy this light. 

I had time for about 30 minutes in the hot water.
Heaven

So as the sky sunk into in a blaze of color, 
I set off down the path,  totally relaxed by my fabulous, really long, all-by-myself soak.




As the the light faded,  I wandered back to my cabin.  And I mean wandered. Honestly, I can get lost in a ... well, yes, a parking lot.  A shopping center. A dark bedroom can confuse me.   A dear friend gave me the plaque, "Not all who wander are lost" to honor my wanderlust.  But sometimes, well often, I'm just lost.

 On this same road trip I got "lost" in a canyon- sorta, that time I wasn't lost but I lost something valuable. And if you put a camera in my hand, I'll  have no idea what my path has been. I do know it was probably pretty.  Like the wonderful light on the fence line. Where am I? Who cares.


Love the final burst of the sun against the fence.

 Hmm... don't remember that bathhouse there. And it's getting dark.

 Luckily, the only little cabin that was lit up was - mine! Home sweet home.



The next morning as the sun rose, I went back to the pools to greet the day.  And to soak. With a book this time. Bliss
Ahhh....




I'm standing on a ledge. I hate figuring out how to get myself in a photo but for those who care, this is for you 


Fabulous way to start the day, any day. I'd love to have this at my house!
Here's the geothermal info- which is clearly not like my part of the world







Faywood Springs, New Mexico

Wonderful place to soak.
The "no-clothing" thing?

It's totally optional! 




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo! :)
    What an amazing trip you're on--soon you'll become a tour guide for out-of-the-way amazing places!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could only find them again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. A gray Virginia day with enough time to catch up with you by blog. Hammes are correct - pics of you are oh so important. When I see all these things and places I am so reminded of THE WONDER I felt at seeing parts of the west with you. Will be forever grateful for the experience I got by trying something new and traveling in your car. I'm sure I was a bit tedious in my continued and absolute amazement over America. thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.