Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Home" to Tucson and on to another season

I've been in Tucson for almost a week- times flies when you're fixing computers, finding thrift stores and generally enjoying life. Tucson has art galleries everywhere and the annual and amazing rock show was well, amazing. I first went with my father years ago and have wanted to return since .  Thought of you, Daddy.                                                                                          http://emol.org/tucson/gemshow/

But before I got to Arizona, I left the lovely pools of Faywood Springs 

and drove to the town of Silver City, New Mexico, in a valley between the Burros and Elk Mountains. It's good for this girl to get back up in some hills.

Interesting factoid- the town has a lovely but very deep park running through the middle with a couple of bridges spanning it- both for pedestrians and vehicles.  Why?

"The town had originally been designed with the streets running north to south. The town was also built in the path of normal water runoff. Businesses sprang up and people learned to deal with the inconveniences of the summer rain. Silver City was built with high sidewalks in the downtown area to accommodate high flood waters. Meanwhile, uncontrolled grazing thinned down plant life on hills surrounding the town. During the night of July 21, 1895, a heavy wall of water rushed through the downtown business district, leaving a trail of destruction. A ditch 55 feet ! (17 m) lower than the original street level was created in what was once known as Main Street.[2] Businesses on Main Street began using their back doors on Bullard Street as main entrances and eventually, were permanently used as the new front entrances. To this day, the incorrect odd/even addressing conventions on the east side of Bullard Street are a reminder that the buildings were addressed on Main Street originally, not Bullard Street. Main Street now ends near the back of the Silver City Police Station, where the Big Ditch Park begins." 
Now you know. Clever. And saved from the horrible 1970's when someone wanted to fill it in, pave it and "put up a parking lot".  What were we thinking back then?



Silver City was chosen by one author as one of America's best small art towns. So it has lots of galleries and of course, Monday is a typical day for art galleries to be closed.  Some were open and it was just fun to wander the streets and check out a great local restaurant. I ate in the outside courtyard and forgot the sun at that altitude. Remember the sunscreen!
http://www.silvercity.org/arts_list.php

Just a great Southwest look- rustic wood and vibrant colors. 

A "main street" find- I think it was on Bullard Street.

They cemented random tiles in designs on the front of this old building.
 I loved this art deco piece.

Hmm... where can I do that in my house? 



Life's a banquet. Love it. 

Ok- its a bit messy but those were awesome fish tacos. 
_______________________



And now I'm here in Tucson, there's been frost on the cars and snow on the nearby mountains.
The view from my brother's patio!
I didn't get a great picture of the moutains but this blogger did. Fun post about "snow on the mountain" http://gregstucson.com/post/2645531/snow-on-the-mountains-exactly-where-it-should-be-



And it's Ash Wednesday as I write this. I'm not from a liturgical background but this year, I'm going to be more mindful of the season leading up to Easter. So I've enjoyed writing the travel posts and now, settled in Tucson for a bit.

 I'm on to a new season.  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.