Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lent- Unexpected Water

This week in Tucson, it snowed and not just a few flakes, although even that that sends all the residents out into the streets to stare awestruck up to the sky. No, this was a bit of a brief blizzard.  Huge wet flakes came down from the sky- shook loose and blowing around like goose down after a good pillow fight.  Students went outside to make wet, sloppy snow balls.  Businessmen left their desks to just be out in the cold and bluster, so unlike the usual winter in the desert.

And I went out with my camera.  I've been quite sick- a head cold has laid me low and all my plans for art galleries and music concerts were set aside for long naps and pots of tea.  But even a nasty cold couldn't keep me from the beauty being created outside my door.


It begins

The classic saguaro- hard to capture against a white sky
The amazing details of God's creation


Prickly pear with a frosty outline











Weight of winter


Another kind of cactus


Snow softened spikes
Transformed














Desert dwellers look for water in any form but most rain comes to the Sonoran desert in the late summer monsoons.  So this winter snow "storm" was an unexpected provision of water. 

I find myself just looking for God's provision in the usual ways.  The big rains of His presence at yearly retreats, monthly gatherings for prayer or worship, even weekly church services.  These are the places, the times we expect to hear from God.   


But what about the unexpected snows in our personal desert? 



I love the remarkable times when God has poured Himself out.  Sometimes I didn't even know I needed a fresh drink. Sometimes the Glory of God breaks into my life and I am caught off guard.  And I want to be off my guard.  To live a guarded life is to live, well, without a camera in a desert snow storm. Without awareness of the beauty being created in my life. 


This week the water was given- snow drifted to earth from water laden clouds to coat the land and the cacti with a reminder of the gift. The snow provided water for the desert but not in an expected way. 

 As I rushed out to capture the beauty, I was reminded that not only does God  provide water for the desert, He does it in His time and  in His way.


Outlined in white

Mesquite trees frosted with snow

Peace



Lent is a season to contemplate and search ourselves. I'm going to take time and search for the unexpected refreshment, the water of His timing and ways. 

The next day.... snow on the mountains but the mesquite are back to desert green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.