Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

An Adventure in Silence

I returned this weekend from a ten day silent retreat in the Colorado mountains. I wrote each day I was there and plan to post some pieces in the coming weeks.  Suffice it to say, the retreat was all I had hoped and more. 


I left Denver and headed west in plenty of time but got distracted and missed my turn, twice. As I approached the major tunnel that can be a bottleneck, all was well and I sped under the mountains. A blinking overhead sign warned me the highway was closed ahead but I kept thinking it couldn't be right! Ha- accidents happen all the time along that mountain road.  So I exited and explored a town I’ve only driven by in the past. They have a community thrift store so it was a natural place for me to kill a couple of hours.  I now have “new” ski googles and a terrific fuzzy throw.


The road reopened (updates via phone) and I continued west, now through falling snow. I exited the main highway and made my way up the road toward Aspen. Then I turned onto yet another, much smaller road- could this be right? Seems a little...well, loosely maintained.  I stopped and asked a friendly woman shoveling snow, “Am I on the road to St Benedict’s?” 
She smiled and assured me I was on the right road. “Have a blessed retreat.”


The road got smaller.

The monochromatic promise of a week of silence and Presence.




Finally I was driving in the flat light of late afternoon. My headlights added no clarity so I drove slowly, assuming I’d bump off the side walls of snow. The whole area had just been hit with a major winter storm, hence the lack of plowing on the back roads.  


Sometimes you just feel your way and trust the journey.
Driving in flat light-
an exercise in trust.




But I arrived.  To a warm welcome, a cup of tea and the promise of rich fellowship. 

Home isn’t always a place you’ve been before. 



St Benedict's Retreat House
Snowmass, Colorado



The retreat center just an hour after I arrived.
Fellow retreatants trickled in all night, delayed by various storms. 


The adventure began. I hope you can join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.