Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

St Benedict's Feb 11: Branches


The day began. We rose early and sat in our chosen spaces in our circle of love as the night gave way to dawn. Gray light filtered into the prayer room.  We left slowly and quietly.



Now I sit and listen to women quietly mixing breakfast muffins for our breakfast and peeling potatoes for our lunch.  Whispers, a fan, the mixer.  Homey noises of comfort and service.






I face a large window, my feet propped comfortably on the wide stucco ledge. Before my eyes are the scruffy trees I have learned are not trees, but mature serviceberry bushes.  They are captivating with the snow piled precariously on their gnarled  trunks and branches. 





The clouds hang low once again and I shiver in anticipation of the wonder that awaits when the sun finally shines.  After a week of clouds and snow, tomorrow’s forecast is sunshine. The mountains will be revealed.   I have a delicious secret and can’t wait to share it with my fellow pilgrims, especially ones from far away.  We are rimmed with mountains and they are unseen.




Is this God’s heart for us? Expectancy of our delight when the clouds roll back and we fully see?   Like Christmas for a child, wonder and eagerness is wrapped up in a hug. Today my sense of anticipation is palatable.



Meanwhile, I enjoy snow laden branches of the Colorado serviceberry bush.











Soon will come the leaves of grace
That flood the tree with living,
And barren bark and trees with dance
And whisper joy with greenery.
Long, long the winter has been,
Bleak and stark and cold.
Wherein the heart is rendered wry.
But a broken spirit You’ll not spurn,
Nor forsake a humble heart.
So soon the leaves of grace will come
Out of the very core of me,
Where you have been this long, long winter
Preparing in me a verdant spring.  
                  Robert J. Hope,
                            From the Center, Poetic Prayers and Meditations



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I am always encouraged to know this blog is a blessing.